Tuesday, December 21, 2010

God For Smart People

"Think of Me. Look at Me often and unconsciously you will grow like Me." Two Listeners

God for smart people. The problem is you can't get to be with God, to see with God, to write your story with God, if you have to reason with God.

Reasoning things out systematically took me away from God every time. I still remember proud and fervent arguments that I had with believers, potential converters all. I was right every time.

And so every time, I pushed myself away from experiencing God.

Because that's the way you know God. You experience the work of the Infinite Spirit in your moment by moment life, after refusing all refuge in rationality, and just opening the heart, mind, gut and loins to the Lord. Ripping yourself open to let God in--that's actually a good idea. Many people come to this understanding after all their mistakes in life have gone ahead and ripped that hole open for them. Then, only when desperation has guided them to the point of complete surrender, only then do they accept God.

That, in my own way, was my experience.

No comments: